Friday, May 29, 2009

She Loves to Watch (how do you watch?)


In a previous post of a collage my friend Anno suggested some commentary accompany the piece. I'd prefer the viewer be allowed to read what, to me, is a strong narrative inherent in the images.  I realize, however, those images might not be as obvious in the posts as in person.

I'll resist dissection of this post, but offer by way of explanation the following by Charles Simic:

Everything's foreseeable. Everything has already been foreseen. What has been fated cannot be avoided. Even this boiled potato. This fork. This chunk of dark bread. This thought too....

My grandmother sweeping the sidewalk knows that. She says there's no god, only an eye here and there that sees clearly. The neighbors are too busy watching TV to burn her as a witch. 

4 comments:

anno said...

I enjoyed the parallel text by Simic; the collage, too -- it seemed wonderfully theatrical, a dance production, including even the grandmother sweeping the sidewalk. Thanks!

I'm not really as much of a fan of mediated experiences as my earlier comment might have indicated; just more left-brained than what is probably strictly good for me. That last collage, with the ripped/ruptured photograph and the congenial pairing of father/son(?) divided by the woman holding a sword, gave me a chill. I wondered if there was a storing brewing out of all of it.

anno said...

a story brewing, that's what I meant to say.

Acedog said...

Anno: "story brewing" is how I understood your comment!
As always, I welcome your comments.

Jen said...

The last collage, to me, was probably part of a writing project.

This one is less clear (in terms of what I might have guessed about the "purpose"), but I love it.

I agree with Anno that it's very theatrical and I love the colors.