Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blurry Images, Clear Memories, and Heavenly Music



I last saw Chick Corea in Kalamazoo, Michigan back in the 1970's. Then, he was taking a break from his heralded jazz-fusion group Return to Forever by playing improvisational piano pieces. My appetite for these pieces had been primed by my introduction to both Corea and improvisational piano by my dear friend Anne.

Mr. Corea has lost none of mastery over the years. He roams the keyboard with a certainly that yields magic, blending styles, riffs, and rhythms in a seemingly effortless performance made all the richer by the crystalline contributions of Mr. Gary Burton on vibraphone.


Mr. Burton, his hands sometime a blur, two mallets in each hand, exchanged leads with Corea. Together they wove a magic carpet of sound. I couldn't help but recall my introduction to Burton's music by Lenny, my college roommate.




2 comments:

anno said...

Sure looks like a magical evening... I never saw either Burton or Corea in concert, but this brings back wonderful memories. It was good to see this the post -- thanks.

Betsy said...

Looks like a great concert! And judging by the pictures it looks like you had great seats! Am glad you enjoyed it!